After you apply, here are the next steps:

  • We will contact you

    • When you apply online, an email confirmation is sent to the address provided on the application within 48 hours.
    • Additional contact is made within one week regarding your application status.

    If you have any questions or have not been contacted by us within these time-frames, please contact us at:

Your to-do list:

  • Apply for free to LSC. The standard application fee of $20 will be waived.

  • Submit secondary school transcripts

    All international applicants are required to submit their secondary school transcripts. A transcript of grades should be sent directly from your secondary school to Lake Superior College. You must have earned the equivalent of a United States high school diploma credential. Please provide a notarized copy of the credential awarded. If the language of instruction was not in English, the transcript must be translated into English by an official translator and sent along with the original transcript attached.

  • Submit post-secondary transcripts

    Post-Secondary transcripts may be required for admission if the secondary work completed is not equivalent to a United States high school diploma. These transcripts must be sent directly from the institution of study to Lake Superior College. An official translation should also be sent if the language of instruction was not English.

If you would like to have your prior post-secondary coursework considered for meeting course pre-requisites or transfer college credit, you must pay to have your transcripts evaluated by either World Education Services ( or Education Credential Evaluators ( Please request a course by course evaluation and have this sent directly to LSC.

If you have attended another college or university within the United States, you must submit an official transcript. These transcripts must be sent directly from the institution of study to Lake Superior College.

Official transcripts delivery to LSC

All transcripts must be official. Please allow processing time of 2 weeks or more.

Secure / paperless:
By mail:
Lake Superior College
Attn: Admissions
2101 Trinity Road
Duluth, MN 55811
In person: Bring in sealed envelope from the institution attended. Do NOT open the envelope.

Minnesota State transcripts

If you have attended another college or university (excluding the University of MN) within the Minnesota State system, you do not need to order a transcript. LSC is able to electronically download your transcript after you apply.

  • Submit a copy of your Passport Identification page – Importance of Name Consistency

    To avoid problems or delays in obtaining your Visa and entering the U.S., ensure that all immigration documents reflect the same name, exactly as it appears in your passport. Do not use “nicknames” or shortened names on any of your documents. This includes your passport, I-20, entry visa stamp, I-94 card (completed in the airplane before your arrival) and any additional documents that you receive after your arrival in the U.S. This can be emailed to

  • English Proficiency

    English proficiency is required and documentation of your proficiency is necessary in order for you to be admitted. Proficiency in the English language cannot be over-emphasized, as your ability to follow class instructions and your stay in this country are largely dependent on it. Acceptable forms of English proficiency include:

    • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – Use LSC’s DI Code 6389 to send your official score report from ETS.
      • Scores: Paper/Pencil: 500 or more, Computer: 173 or more, Internet: 61 or more
    • Proficiency through the completion of an ESL program from a regionally accredited college or university.
    • Completion of four years of full time education in English in a country where English is an official language.
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test score of 6.0 with no part less than a 5.5.

  • Financial certificate and bank statement in US dollars

    You will be required to submit a detailed Financial Certificate and copies of your bank statement and your sponsor’s bank statement that are less than 3 months old. You will need to supply the college with copies of your Bank statements showing the total amount of required funds (approx. $20,500 USD) for the academic year before Lake Superior College will issue you an I-20 Form needed for admission into the United States. I-20 Forms cannot be issued until all admission requirements are met and it is determined that an applicant can be accepted into a degree-seeking program.

  • Make arrangements for your acceptance packet and I-20 Form

    Please verify your program and personal information in your congratulations e-mail and return your signed F-1 student contract to We cannot send an I-20 Form until you have completed and returned the signed F-1 Contract to

    If you are outside the United States or Canada, you are required to pay E-Ship to arrange a courier pick-up (FedEx, UPS or DHL) at our office to ship your documents. Alternatively, you can also arrange for someone to pick up your acceptance packet containing your I-20 Form in our office and send it on to you. The choice should be indicated in your reply to your congratulations e-mail and a Release of Information Authorization form must be on file.

    If you have any questions about the shipping of your Admission Letter/I-20 Form, International Student Orientation, or preparing to travel to Duluth MN, please email:

    e-Ship – FEDEX, UPS or DHL

    We use an express mail service that will allow you to receive your documents through FEDEX, UPS, or DHL. Requesting your immigration documents through express mail is at YOUR expense and your credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover) will be charged upon requesting the service. There is a 15 – 30% discount on shipping by using this service, as opposed to going directly through DHL, UPS or FedEx. This discount varies by country. You must use the website provided above – do not go through the DHL, UPS or FedEx website directly, all communication will go through the e-Ship service, who will notify us that you are requesting your I-20 form to be sent by express mail.

    If you use this service, you will be required to create your own user name and password in order to create an account. To request shipment, you will need your Tech ID, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, and credit card information. You may request shipment either to your foreign address or to a U.S. address. If your document(s) will be sent to a U.S. address, please include the name of the person who lives at that address. Please pay close attention to the information submitted. If there are errors in the credit card information or if there is incorrect or incomplete address information, it will result in a delay in the mailing of your document(s). If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, please use the “Help” link on the e-Ship website for step by step instructions. If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please e-mail

    Authorized Agent

    If you would like an Authorized Agent (which can be a friend or relative) to pick up or receive your documents, please email,, the following information: name, address, and phone number of the person you would like to act on your behalf. Please include YOUR name and TechID. You must also submit a completed “Release of Information Authorization” form found at We must have your permission in writing.

  • Health insurance

    Make arrangements to purchase health insurance and means to be evacuated.

    Do this step only after you know the results of your visa interview.

    All international students and visiting scholars who are engaged in educational activities are required to purchase a Mandatory International Student Medical Insurance plan. The cost of the plan is approximately $1,400 per year. If written verification can be obtained from the student’s government or sponsoring agency accepting full responsibility for any medical claims that might occur, then the insurance is not required.

    • United Healthcare: search for Lake Superior College and select the “International Student Enrollment Form” to sign up for insurance. You may need to contact United Healthcare directly at 1-888-251-6243 to enroll in the health insurance plan.

    You will need to have a health care plan in place before you travel. You must show proof of health insurance coverage before you will be able to register for classes.

You may want to:

  • Release your information to others (like your parents or spouse)

    Lake Superior College is prohibited by law from releasing your records to an individual (including your family) unless you complete a Release of Information Authorization form