The Tutoring and Learning Center provides tutoring and other academic resources to LSC students at no cost. Tutoring is offered in all levels of math, the sciences, writing and composition, study skills and several other areas. Professional and peer tutors are available. We have small study rooms where we encourage small groups to work collaboratively. We also offer study groups in areas such as Cell Biology and General Statistics. See tutor schedules for details on what is currently offered.
The Tutoring and Learning Center is open year round. Tutors are staffed only when classes are in session. Tutor availability varies so please check the tutor schedules.
Math and science tutors don’t require an appointment but some (writing tutors) do. Call 218-733-5927 to schedule an appointment. We strongly recommend that you schedule time with the Writing lab/tutors.
The Tutoring and Learning Center has the following expectations of students accessing tutoring:
- It is expected that you have been attending class/labs regularly.
- It is expected that you have attempted the assignment prior to your session with a tutor.
- It is expected that you will bring assignment specifications/guidelines to the session and that you will have specific questions prepared to ask the tutor.
- Please remember the tutor’s role is to assist you in learning and understanding the information; it is not their role to help you get your homework done.
- Remember to plan ahead of your due date so you have adequate time to learn the information and apply that knowledge in order to complete your assignment.
- Begin using the Tutoring and Learning Center as soon as you experience difficulty with coursework; don’t wait until the end of the semester.
- Come early, come often!