The Accuplacer Placement Test is a computerized placement testing system designed to provide information about the academic skills of students in reading and math. The primary function of this test is to determine if students are prepared for college-level course work, or if they would require developmental courses.
Who must take the Accuplacer Placement Test?
The Minnesota State policy requires all new students to be assessed unless they meet one or more of the following exemptions:
- Successful completion of a college-level writing course may waive the Reading portion of the Accuplacer.
- Successful completion of a College Algebra or higher course may waive the Math portion of the Accuplacer.
- Students who demonstrate readiness to succeed in college with qualifying ACT, MCA or SAT scores will not be required to take all or part of the Accuplacer. The ACT, MCA and SAT scores are good for five years. (Accuplacer scores are good two years for reading and three years for math.) It is up to the student to forward these scores to Lake Superior College:
QUALIFYING ACT, MCA, and SAT SCORES:
ACT Minimum Qualifying Scores:
- 21 Reading
- 22 Math
MCA Minimum Qualifying Scores:
- 1047 Reading
- 1158 Math
SAT Minimum Qualifying Scores:
- 480 Reading
- 530 Mathematics
How will the test scores be used?
While you should try to do your best on this test, please keep in mind that there is no passing or failing score. With the exception of PSEO and Ability to Benefit students, the results will not be used for admission. Your score in each portion of the test indicates whether or not you need any developmental courses prior to starting your program. Placement into developmental courses based on your scores is mandatory. This may limit your course selection and/or entry in your program. Please note: You are allowed to re-test once in a calendar year. If you choose to do so, there is a $5 fee.
What if I need special accommodations?
Students, who have a verified disability requiring special accommodations for testing, please call the Disability Coordinator, 218-733-7650, to arrange an appointment.
Do I have to take the test at LSC?
No, you are welcome to take the placement test at the nearest Community or Technical College. This will allow you to test closer to home. If you choose to do so, contact us to create a “Voucher” for you. email@example.com or (218) 733-7784. (Sites will not let you test without the “Voucher.”) All test sites have different hours of operation, so you’ll need to check that with them.
How long does the Accuplacer Placement Test take?
The test is not timed. Each portion of the test is multiple choice with 20 questions in Reading and College Level Math and 12 questions in Elementary Algebra. You have as much time as you need to do your best.
- Complete your Accuplacer testing before the orientation by attending one of our testing sessions at 9:00am or 1:00pm every Tuesday.
- No appointment needed, testing is in room S1971.
- Not sure if you need testing? Contact advising if you have any questions.