Join a test meeting (optional)
Zoom is a video conference tool that can be used to stay connected with your classmates, instructor, or tutors. It can be used to meet with LSC staff or faculty, attend lectures, or participate in discussions.
To make sure you get the most out of every session, keep the following tips and tricks in mind:
- Find a quiet location from which to join your session, and make sure you have access to a reliable internet connection.
- Log into every session using your full first and last name.
- Join a session a few minutes early to test your microphone and speakers. You should also make sure you have the latest Zoom app downloaded (Zoom.us menu > Check for updates)
- Mute your microphone unless you are speaking (or in line to speak) to prevent unintentional background noise from disrupting the conversation. The presenter can mute your microphone.
- When video is enabled, remember to speak to the camera (and not to the screen).
What You Need to Get Started:
- A computer, laptop, or device with an internet connection
- A microphone and speaker/ear buds – your computer/laptop/device may have these devices
- View Video Tutorials
- View Getting Started Videos
- View Configuring Audio and Video
Launch the Zoom App with a Meeting Invite:
- Click on the link in the meeting invite
- Download the Zoom App
Launch the Zoom App the Web App:
- Go to https://minnstate.zoom.us/
- Click on Join or Sign In
- Join – Enter in the Meeting ID
- Sign In – Your username is your StarID and your StarID password
- For iOS, search “Zoom” on Apple AppStore. It will direct you to http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zoom.us-cloud-video-meetings/id546505307
- For Android, search “Zoom Meetings” on Google Play. It will direct you to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.zoom.videomeetings
The Zoom Menu Bar:
The Zoom menu bar appears at the bottom of the Zoom window once the meeting begins. If you don’t see the menu bar, move your mouse slightly and the bar will appear. (The bar disappears after a few seconds when in full-screen mode.)
With the Zoom Menu Bar, you can:
- Mute/unmute your own audio (not the audio of the participants). You can also select your audio input by clicking the up arrow next to the microphone icon.
- Start/stop your video. You can also select you video input here by clicking the up arrow next to the video camera icon.
- Invite more people to join by email, instant messaging, or meeting ID
- View a list of participants
- Share your desktop (everything you have open) or select a specific application to share (e.g., Microsoft Word)
- Send a message to one person (using private chat) or to all participants
- Record the meeting (if you have been granted permission)
- Leave or end the video meeting
Switching Between Views (Share Screen and Video):
As a participant you might be asked to share your desktop or an application. During a meeting you can switch back and forth between sharing your screen and sharing your video as often as needed.
If you are in video mode, switch to screen share by clicking “Share Screen” in the menu bar as shown: A window showing all possible options to share displays like below. Click on the item you want to display, which will be highlighted in green, then click “OK”: If you are displaying your screen, switch to video by clicking “Stop Share” from the menu at the top of the screen shown in the red box: