How to apply for Certification for Education Benefits:

The responsibility of the VA School Certifying Official is to complete the Enrollment Certification (VA form 22-1999) for each semester that you request to be certified.

This is done electronically through the VA-Once verification system.

To expedite the enrollment certification process, you should inform the VA School Certifying Official of your enrollment and intent to use benefits each semester by completing a Request to Certify form. Keep in mind it can 60-90 days to process new certifications so the sooner you inform us of your registration, the sooner the VA will begin to process your funding.

You are responsible to communicate any changes in your enrollment or program to the VA School Certifying Official as soon as the change is made.

VA Benefits Process at Lake Superior College

  1. Complete the application process at Lake Superior College and be accepted into a VA-approved degree program. Submit a copy of your DD-214, military ID or official copy of your Joint Services Transcript (JST) to waive the $20 application fee requirement (if applicable)
  2. Apply online for GI BillĀ® benefits with the Department of Veteran Affairs. You can also apply using VA form 22-1990 (22-5490 for dependents), found on the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
  3. Once the VA has processed your application, you will receive an award letter, also known as a Certificate of Eligibility letter (VA form 22-0557). Bring a copy of the letter to the VA School Certifying Official. If you have recently applied and are waiting on your Certificate of Eligibility letter, you can complete a Veteran Information Sheet as a placeholder until your letter is received.
  4. Attend New Student Registration and register for courses. The VA will only recognize courses that are needed to complete your declared program. They will not allow certification of repeated courses or remedial courses taken online. For assistance with registration, contact Advising Services.
  5. Complete a Request to Certify form.
  6. The VA School Certifying Official will submit an electronic enrollment certification, form 22-1999, to the VA.
    • If you are using the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30 or 1606), you must do a self-certification through the WAVE online or by phone at 1-877-823-2378 on or after the last day of each month of attendance.
  7. VA will begin submitting payment to students after the semester has started. If you are new to using benefits and/or new to LSC, there may be a delay in payment. For Chapter 33 and 31 students, payment will be made directly to the school for qualifying tuition and fee costs.

Make yourself aware of all of the services that are available to you from the Department of Veterans Affairs.