Students receiving Veteran Education benefits can also receive Title IV Federal Financial Aid and Minnesota State Financial Aid programs with no benefit reduction.

  1. Apply for your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID
    Each student (and one parent, if you are a dependent student) must create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. The FSA ID will allow you to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), change your address, view the processing status of your FAFSA application, view your loan history or previous loan history, and much more. Create your FSA ID. Carefully read all information on this website. Your FSA ID should be kept in a safe, confidential location. The FSA ID login information that you create will be used each year you apply for financial aid.
  2. Complete the FAFSA
    Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). By completing the FAFSA, you are applying for all types of federal and state financial aid, including grants, work-study and loans.

Representatives in the Financial Aid Office are available to assist students with completion of the FAFSA. You will need your federal income tax information for the appropriate year and FSA ID to complete the FAFSA. View a list of necessary documents and financials needed to apply.

NOTE: You must be an admitted student at Lake Superior College to receive a financial aid Award Notification listing the grants, loans, and other aid you are eligible to receive.

  1. Types of Financial Aid
    Both Federal and State Financial Aid programs (including grants and loans) are available for veterans to utilize in conjunction with federal veterans benefits and tuition reimbursement. A detailed shopping sheet is available in the Financial Aid area of e-Services which outlines common aid programs available to students, as well as cost of attendance information. Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and Private Education Loans are available to all students to assist with the cost of attending college. Students have the ability to refuse all or portions of the loan amounts available to them.
  2. Other Aid Programs for Veterans
    Veterans may also be eligible to receive benefits through the Minnesota GI Bill program. This is a Minnesota program through the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs. This program is different than the Federal GI Bill (Montgomery, Post 9-11, Veterans Education Assistance Program, Dependents Education Assistance Program, or Vocational rehabilitation). This program awards veterans additional aid if they have remaining need afterVA benefits, federal/state financial aid, and other grants/scholarships have been considered. The annual limit for receipt of Minnesota GI Bill funds is $3,000 and the lifetime maximum is $10,000. For more information on the Minnesota GI Bill program, visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs website.

For more information on Financial Aid eligibility requirements, visit the Financial Aid homepage. Remember to contact the Financial Aid Office with questions about your eligibility, timelines, or the application process.