Use this form when a dependent student by the FAFSA definition requests to be declared “independent” for financial aid purposes due to a severed parental relationship.

If you can answer “YES” to any of the following questions that will be asked on the FAFSA, you do not need to complete a separate Dependency Override Form. You will automatically be considered an independent student. However, the college will be requesting proof of your status once they have received your FAFSA information.

  • At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
  • Are you or were you an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • Are you or were you in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2007, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?

If you cannot answer “yes” to any of these questions but no longer have a personal relationship with your parents due to irreconcilable differences, you should answer “Yes” when completing the FAFSA when it asks whether there are “special circumstances” which prevent you from providing parental information. After we have received your FAFSA submission, you will need to complete the Dependency Override Request to be considered for an override.

You must complete the FAFSA before requesting a Dependency Override
After completing the FAFSA, submit the following form to the address listed below. Be aware that your request must include documentation by a social worker, high school counselor, teacher, county representative or clergy. If the Financial Aid Office concurs that you should be considered an independent student, we will make a correction to your completed FAFSA verifying that you are considered an independent student.

Dependency Override Request Form