Veterans with medic field experience will soon be able to earn a Practical Nursing Diploma in just six months. In January 2017, Lake Superior College will begin offering the Military Bridge Medic to LPN program, the first Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA)-approved practical nursing program for vets with medic field experience.
“We’re pleased to work with Lake Superior College on this new initiative, helping vets apply their military medic experience towards a college diploma and a healthcare field” said MDVA Director of Education and Employment Dave Bellefueille.
The program connects skilled job-seekers to a high demand profession, says Deb Amys, Director of LSC’s Nursing Program. “We’re fortunate to have veterans who have valuable medical training and experience in our community. Offering a degree program that leverages their experience towards a career in nursing is a win-win for veterans and our whole community.”
Although the program doesn’t begin until January, interested vets should start the enrollment process as soon as possible. Here are the steps candidates need to take:
– Meet with an advisor or Veterans’ Affairs campus representative to plan you schedule, financial aid, and other benefits. Contact Student Services at (218) 733-7601 or Dave Martin at (218) 733-7604 to get started.
– Complete pre-program testing and requirements to determine your current reading, English and math skill levels and whether you need additional coursework is needed in these areas.
– Complete pre-program technical courses – biology, physiology and college composition. These courses are all available online.
– Complete TEAS Exam.
– Complete a physical exam, including Mantoux testing.
– Enroll for a spring semester 2017 start. This will be the first cohort of veteran medics in this premier program. Take summer session classes and fish a the end of July with a Practical Nursing Diploma.
For more information, or to start the enrollment process, Contact Student Services at (218) 733-7601 or Dave Martin at (218) 733-7604.