Borrowing Privileges and Loans Periods
The following information is about the library’s collections and policies concerning checking out materials, how long you may check out materials, overdues, holds, renewals, and replacements.
Borrowing privileges are extended to patrons with a valid Lake Superior College identification card (students and employees) and to community borrowers. All materials are checked out from the library’s Circulation Desk.
To find out if you have books checked out, or to see when they’re due, you can access your library account online through the Library’s catalog. You can also ask at the Circulation Desk.
- Books* – 4 weeks / 2 renewals
- DVDs – 1 week / 1 renewal
- Audiobooks – 4 weeks / 1 renewal
- Reference – In-library use only
- Journals, Magazines, and Newspapers – In-library use only
- Course Reserves – 2 hours & in-library use only
- Group Study Rooms – 2 hours
*Most books can be checked out. The exceptions are the Oversized and Art Collection materials which are in-library use only.
If a book is overdue for more than 7 days and not returned, a non-refundable $2.00 processing fee for each item is charged. At 14 days, a Lost notice is sent. Borrowers are then charged a replacement cost and a HOLD is placed on his/her library account. Please return materials promptly.
The library changes the status of long overdue materials to LOST and fines patrons $50.00 per item. A hold is placed on patron’s academic records when they have LOST materials. Once items are returned, patrons need only pay for the overdue fee, typically $2.o0, and holds are released. Please contact the library with any questions about LOST materials.
All library materials are subject to holds and recalls. Please return materials promptly if you receive a notice.
Replacement charges for non-returned (including lost) library materials will be assessed per replacement costs plus $15.00 per item processing fee. This charge can be removed if the item is returned before a replacement is ordered. For items no longer available, the replacement cost is determined by available copies through our book vendors.
Check Your Account and Renew Items in MnPALS
- Login using either your Star Id and password or the 14-digit barcode on the back of your LSC ID card and your barcode password (generally your last name). This will display your “account,” which will include your loans, hold requests, fines, etc.
- To display the items you have checked out and their due dates, click on Loans.
- To renew a specific item, click on the title to be renewed, then click on the renew link. If there are no conflicts (for example, another person has a hold on the item), the system will change the due date and return to the loans list.
- To renew all items simultaneously, from the loans list click on “Renew All;” if there are conflicts (e.g., a hold on an item) they will be listed in a new window. Otherwise the system will indicate that the renew all was successful.
Interlibrary Loan, or ILL, is a way of obtaining materials that the LSC Library doesn’t own. Only students and LSC employees may use this service. To request an item, find what you need in the catalog then click on “request item” then fill out required information. If you are having problems with the form, use Ask a Librarian or come in for help. Materials usually take 5-7 days to arrive at the Library; please plan accordingly.
The Erickson Library has over a dozen collections including Art, Audio, Minnesota, Oversize, Paperback, Popular Fiction, and Reference. Some library collections are in-house use only.
Anyone who is not an LSC student or employee, or students who are not currently registered for classes, may get a Community Library Card. Community cards have privileges similar to student cards with the following exceptions:
No checkout of Art Collection books
No checkout of Oversize books
No access to Library databases from off-campus
No use of Interlibrary Loan. Community members must use their local public library for Interlibrary Loan.
Community members must apply for a library card in person at the Circulation Desk. The card is valid for one year from date of issuance.