Part 1: Purpose. In keeping with the mission of Lake Superior College (LSC) and to maintain a safe environment for student, faculty and staff; LSC will follow the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program. The procedure applies to all LSC campuses.
Part 2: Definitions
- Minnesota State Business – Any activity that is the directly related to being employed by LSC or being enrolled as a student at LSC, including but not limited to, class field trips, meeting, seminar or conference attendance, picking up or delivering items or persons directly related to LSC.
- Driving on State of Minnesota Business – Includes driving a state owned vehicle, driving a vehicle leased using LSC funds or to be reimbursed by LSC or driving any other vehicle including a person’s private vehicle on MnSCU business with the expectation of being reimbursed for mileage and/or expenses.
- Eligibility – In order to drive on state business, students, faculty and staff must meet the eligibility requirements.
Part 3: Procedure
- Before driving on state business, any student, faculty or staff member must complete and sign the Vehicle Use Agreement
- The advisor or supervisor of any person that will be driving on state business will assure that the intended driver has complied with this procedure.
- Any person who will be driving on state business is required to complete a Vehicle Use Agreement and authorize the Minnesota State Risk Management Division to obtain their Motor Vehicle Record from the State of Minnesota or any other state in which they have been licensed in the last five years.
- The Vice President of Finance and Administration or his/her designee will submit the names of students, faculty and staff members that will drive on state business and have completed and signed a Vehicle Use Agreement to the Minnesota State Risk Management Division using the Motor Vehicle Records Format. The Risk Management Division will request the Motor Vehicle Record from the State of Minnesota or any other state in which driver has been licensed in the last five years. Based on results returned on the Motor Vehicle Record, the Risk Management Division will assign each driver a rating which will determine eligibility.
- The Vice President of Administration or his/her designee will annually resubmit the names of students, faculty and staff members who will drive on State of Minnesota business and have completed and signed a Vehicle Use Agreement on file to the Minnesota State Risk Management Division using the Motor Vehicle Records Format.
Date Implemented: November, 2008