Inclusive access information for faculty
Inclusive Access is an automated way to deliver students their digital course materials. Students receive their required materials via their D2L and pay a discounted price for the materials when they pay for their tuition and fees.
- A faculty member requires a title and a digital learning tool such as My MathLab/Connect or another digital platform.
Faculty may request with the LSC Store that their materials be integrated using the Inclusive Access platform, or LSC Store staff may contact faculty about the opportunity to convert their digital course materials into the Inclusive Access platform.
Faculty submit their adoptions as they normally would, either on the adoption web portal, or the online form on the LSC Store website.
In the comments section, faculty must include that they wish the course to be Inclusive Access for the upcoming term.
- For faculty that make the choice to move to Inclusive Access, the LSC Store works with our IT Department and Red Shelf to integrate the digital course materials directly into D2L.
The Inclusive Access program is run through our third-party partner, Red Shelf, and involves minimal steps for faculty to integrate into their D2L shells.
- Faculty put a link to the materials in their D2L shells using an External Learning tool. This link can provide students access to the content (varies by publisher), as well as the opportunity to opt-out of the Inclusive Access materials if they wish (see step 5 for information on opt-out).
Faculty will also be provided a link that can be easily placed into their D2L shells. The link will be compiled by the LSC Store and will include an overview of what the Inclusive Access program is: information on content access and opt-out information for students.
Additional instructions and support for Inclusive Access and importing an external learning tool are available from the Center for Faculty Innovation.
- Students enrolled in courses using Inclusive Access are billed directly through their student accounts. There are no additional purchases students need to make to utilize faculty’s chosen digital course materials through D2L. Materials are available automatically to students when they log in to D2L.
- Students have until the first Friday of the semester to opt-out of receiving their materials through the Inclusive Access program. Students that opt-out are required to purchase their materials on their own.
Students are notified via their school email of the deadline to opt-out of receiving their course materials through the Inclusive Access program.
The LSC Store doesn’t recommend students opt-out of Inclusive Access, but we are required to notify students they are able to opt-out.
For many courses students who remain opted into the Inclusive Access program may purchase a low-cost loose-leaf version of the textbook through the LSC Store.
- The LSC Store will deactivate accounts for any students who choose to opt-out. Students who opted-out are refunded for their course materials and are required to obtain course materials on their own.
What is Inclusive Access?
Inclusive Access is an automated way for students to access their digital course materials. Students receive their required materials via their D2L and pay a discounted price for the materials when they pay for their tuition and fees.
How does it work?
- For courses that are utilizing Inclusive Access students will automatically have access to the course materials when they log into their course through D2L. There is no extra steps or purchases students need to make to begin using the materials!
- Courses are identified as Inclusive Access via the course schedule in e-services. When registering for courses, students will see that the book requirement will be listed as Inclusive Access. Students will also see Inclusive Access listed as required course material when looking up course materials through the LSC Store webpage.
- Students will see the additional Inclusive Access charges in your course fees. Students won’t have to pay for a textbook separately!
- Think you’re going to miss a paper textbook? Some courses will still have optional, loose-leaf books for purchase in the LSC Store at a reduced cost.
- Students enrolled in these courses are automatically billed directly through their student accounts. The digital access is covered by most types of funding including: financial aid, scholarships, veterans funding, payment plans, etc. The price of Inclusive Access materials is discounted when compared to the same products at most other retailers.
- During the first week of the semester, students are notified of their opportunity to opt-out of the Inclusive Access program. A link is provided in their D2L course to decline the use of the digital materials through the Inclusive Access program if they do not wish to participate in the program.
- Students have until the first Friday of the semester to opt-out of the materials.
- Students that choose to opt-out will have their course materials deactivated and the fee for the materials removed from their student account.
- PSEO students should NEVER decline or op-out as these are required materials and are covered by PSEO funding.
- Students are still required to obtain the materials from elsewhere if they opt-out.