Transfer Student Checklist
- Start Early
- Ask Questions/Request Information
- Decide what program of study or major you want to pursue
- Verify the classes you are currently taking will transfer
- Fully research the college/university; check their website, make phone calls, etc.
- APPLY EARLY! Pay attention to application and priority dates and deadlines!
- Submit OFFICIAL transcripts
- Confirm all requested materials have been submitted and received
- Complete the financial aid process
- Review the Class Schedule and Catalog
- Check for specific foreign language & Math requirements
- Get enrolled in classes
Visiting a Campus
- Dress appropriately: Be comfortable.
- Ask Questions: What are deadlines? Do I meet admission requirements? Will my credits transfer?
- Try it out: Sit in on a class, eat in the cafeteria, and attend an event.
- Relax: Enjoy your visit!
- Check out the Surroundings: Make sure you feel safe on campus and in the city.
- Reflect: Write down your thoughts.
How to Choose a College or University
- Do they offer the degree program you are seeking?
- What is the size of the school?
- Do you meet their admission requirements?
- What is the tuition cost?
- Do they offer scholarships for transfer students?
- Is it a good fit for you and your needs?
- Is it fully accredited?
- Does it have a good reputation?
What to Possibly Expect at a 4-Year College/University
- Longer Lines
- More Buildings
- Higher Expenses
- Upper Level Classes
- Larger Class Sizes
- Parking Issues
- Larger Crowds
- Culture Shock