- Tips for Scholarship Applicants
While scholarships offered by the Lake Superior College Foundation have their own specific eligibility criteria and application requirements, there are things that you can do as an applicant for any scholarship program to make sure that you submit your strongest application. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Follow instructions! – It is amazing how many applicants lose points (or are completely disqualified) just because they didn’t follow instructions. Don’t make that mistake! Read instructions carefully and if you have questions- ask!
- Care about the overall presentation. – Strong applications follow all of the instructions, are typed and have been carefully proofed. Your application should be clean, neat, and well presented. First impressions count. Take the time to put your best foot forward.
- Proof, proof, proof. – Don’t just submit your first draft. Put it away for a day and read it again. Spell check doesn’t do it all. Have someone else read over your application before you turn it in. Don’t let typos and grammatical errors distract the reviewer from what you’re trying to say.
- Tell your story. – Make sure that the written materials that you submit- your personal statement and any scholarship essays- are well written, thoughtful, focused and clear. Make sure that you address what is being asked of you – and give examples to support what you are saying. This is your chance to shine as an individual and to tell your own individual story. What makes you unique and special? And don’t forget to proof your writing.
- It’s not all about the grades. – Your academic history is only a part of what is taken into consideration. What is important to you? How do you spend your time? Do you work, volunteer, play sports, sing, dance or participate in clubs or other activities? Do you help out at home or are you active in something outside of school? Are you a leader? Have you won anything? What are you committed to? Use your resume and your written statements to tell the bigger picture.
- Turn in your application on time! – You’ve got weeks to prepare. Don’t wait until the last minute. It shows.
- Be confident! – Everyone has a shot at a scholarship. It’s up to you to present yourself in the best possible light. Take the time to prepare your application. Pick people for your letters of recommendation who really know you and can speak to your strengths. Your application is your time to shine. Take advantage of the opportunity!