Getting Ready to Transfer

If you are looking to transfer from another college or university, there are a number of things you will have to do to complete the process. The Transfer Action Plan explains to you what you should be aware of when looking to transfer, and will help you better understand the process. Visit to access information about college application processes, admissions information, college and university transfer websites, information about financial aid, etc. Make sure to know your Transfer Student Rights & Responsibilities. You are entitled to receive a clear explanation of transfer policy, a fair evaluation of your coursework, and access to a formal appeal process. Refer to the Lake Superior College Transfer Policy.

At LSC, we offer a number of different programs in business, computer, transportation, health, public safety/emergency response, and trade and industry. These programs can lead to successful opportunities in the workforce.

LSC offers an Associate of Arts Degree (which includes the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum), which is designed to transfer to four-year colleges and universities.

Get more information about the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.

To discover more about the specific courses you can take at LSC, you can view our Course Outlines.

Students interested in applying to Lake Superior College should submit an application to the college.

Review the Admissions process.

The Minnesota State system has information regarding the PSEO option and transfer basics for interested students. PSEO students are required to send an official copy of transcripts from the college/university which offered the college-level course taken.

The Admissions process can be found on our Become a Student page.

International students are welcome and encouraged to apply to Lake Superior College. Students who are not US citizens or permanent residents and plan to enroll on a student visa can learn more about the international application process.

The Minnesota State system also provides helpful resources to international students concerning currency conversion, credential evaluating agencies, TOEFL, and more. Please visit the Minnesota Transfer website to learn more.

If you are a student at another college or university and only what to take one or two classes at Lake Superior College, you do not need to apply as a new degree-seeking student. You would be considered a non-degree student. Read more about non-degree seeking status.

After your application is complete, it will be processed by Admissions. A transfer evaluation will occur, in which we will determine whether your previous coursework is equivalent to that at Lake Superior College. In order to be considered equivalent, a course must be at least 75% comparable in content.

If you are accepted by Lake Superior College, an acceptance packet will be returned to you in the mail, which will contain a Degree Audit Report (DARS), outlining to you how your courses transferred in to your program(s).

If you would like to get an idea of what will transfer into Lake Superior College before your transfer evaluation is complete, you can use Transferology. This is a database of transfer evaluations that LSC has already made.

Lake Superior College accepts various alternative types of credit, such as the below Nationally Recognized Exams:

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES/DSST)
  • Excelsior College Examinations (ECEs)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • New York University Foreign Language Proficiency Exam (NYUFLP)
  • National Occupational competency Testing Institute (NOCTI)
  • Thomas Edison State College Examination Program (TECEP)

See alternative types of credit examinations explained.

Articulated credit enables high school students to obtain college credit for technical courses that are taken in high school. In order for articulated credit to be accepted by Lake Superior College, a signed articulation agreement must exist between the high school and the college, indicating how the course will transfer. Student who enroll at Lake superior College within five years of when the course was taken will receive credit for the course(s) indicated based on the agreement.

Student who took courses in high school which articulate to other colleges/universities besides LSC cannot transfer this credit in to Lake Superior College through the articulated college credit process. These students can have their work evaluated through the Credit for Prior Learning process, however. For an explanation of the Credit for Prior Learning process, see below.

LSC offers students the options of Articulated College Credit (see above), Credit by Exam and Prior Learning Assessments. Get more information about the Credit by Exam and Prior Learning process.

Lake Superior College may accept credit from military and business training.

For more information regarding this type of transfer, read Educational Credit for Training Programs.

Please familiarize yourself with Lake Superior College’s Transfer Policy/Procedures & Appeal Process. There are processes in place that allow you to appeal a transfer decision made at Lake Superior College.

Lake Superior’s Transfer Policy/Procedures & Appeal Process
Petition to Policy Form
Minnesota State Transfer Rights & Responsibilities – Familiarize yourself with the college’s and your rights and responsibilities when it comes to transfer.

The Transfer Services Checklist describes the process of how to transfer to other colleges and universities.

Each semester, LSC hosts transfer visits from area schools such as the College of St Scholastica, University of Minnesota-Duluth and University of Wisconsin-Superior. A transfer visit schedule will be made available on this website as visits are scheduled.

We advise students who are interested in transferring to work as early as possible with that school to help facilitate the transfer process.
Transfer Specialists at other Minnesota State schools (includes those schools mentioned above and more).

LSC has a number of articulation agreements with four-year colleges and universities in the area. Articulation agreements are formal agreements between two or more colleges and universities to accept credit in transfer towards a specific academic program.

Active Articulation Agreements

Transfer Pathway Maps and Articulation Agreements (Articulation agreements between Minnesota State colleges and Minnesota State universities)

LSC-UWS Superior Connection Transfer Plan

AA Health Science to BS Agreement – Transfer your LSC associate of science to Northwestern Health Sciences University’s bachelor of Biology program

MLT to MLS program through St Cloud State.

Radiologic Technician AAS to BA Agreement – Transfer your Radiologic Technician AAS to University of Minnesota Crookston’s bachelor of Applied Health program.

Will my courses transfer? Get started with Transferology

Have More Questions?
View Transfer FAQs

See How Your Courses Transfer with Transferology!

Contact Transfer Services

If you have any questions about transferring to Lake Superior College, please contact our Transfer Specialist:

Molly Milroy
Lake Superior College
2101 Trinity Rd
Duluth, MN 55811
(218) 733-5956

Visit us on facebook