Campus Security Services
Escort Services are available for all Lake Superior College students, staff and faculty during regular office hours. Call Security at 733-6911 or cell (218) 522-1019.
Personal security recommendations
Campus security staff are available to assist you in protecting yourself by providing regular foot and/or vehicle patrols, safety and security programs, as well as various safety and security posters and brochures. However, only you can protect yourself by being aware of your surroundings and taking appropriate steps in preventing crime from happening.
- Call for an escort! Patrol and escort services are available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Be aware of when patrol is on duty. Security staff normally patrols the campus between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Protect your room or office
- Lock your office and doors at home even if you are only going out for a short time or only going a short distance. It only takes eight seconds to walk into your open room or office and steal your valuables.
- Personal property (purses, briefcases, calculators, etc.) should never be left unattended. Take such items with you if you leave the office, classroom, etc.
- Never open the exterior doors of the building to strangers.
- Do not loan your keys to anyone. They may not be careful with them and may misplace them, giving the wrong person access.
- Do not leave your keys lying around in public places or in your jacket pocket when you are not wearing it. Do not put your name or address on key rings as they may be used to steal your property if found by the wrong person.
Protect your property
- Participate in Operation Identification by engraving your Operation Identification Number on your valuables.
- Personal property (purses, briefcases, etc.) should never be left unattended. Take such items with you if you are leaving the office or classroom.
- Lock your door whenever you leave your room or office.
- Protect all valuables in your room or office. Do not leave valuables in plain view.
- Take valuables home with you during vacations.
- Always lock your bike. There are several good anti-theft devices available. Case-hardened heavy locks and chains afford the best protection.
Protect your automobile
- Always lock your car doors, even while driving, and never leave your keys in the vehicle.
- Try to park your car in a well-lit area.
- Avoid leaving property where it is visible.
Protect yourself at night
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Refrain from taking shortcuts. Walk where there is plenty of light and traffic.
- Call for an escort (733-6911, cell # (218) 522-1019 or 733-7600).
Protect yourself walking and jogging
- Avoid walking and jogging alone after dark. If you must travel alone at night, use the LSC Escort Service (218) 733-6911 to escort you to your on-campus destination.
- Walk along well-lit routes.
- Be alert to your surroundings. If you suspect you are being followed, run in a different direction, go to the other side of the street and yell for help, or head quickly for a lighted area or a group of people.
Help us protect you
- Watch for suspicious persons in and around college buildings and in parking lots. Do not pursue them. Call campus security immediately.
- Call campus security if you should enter your room and find a stranger, regardless of the “cover story” supplied.
- If you see any suspicious activity or people on or near campus, call campus security immediately (733-6911). Do not assume that what you observe is an innocent activity, or that it has already been reported.
- Do not assume the person is a visitor or college staff member that you have not seen before.
Suspicious people may be:
- Loitering about at unusual hours and locations, or running, especially if something of value is being carried.
Exhibiting unusual mental or physical symptoms. Person(s) could be under the influence of drugs or otherwise needing medical or psychiatric assistance.
- Carrying property that might be suspicious; depending on the circumstances, going from room to room trying door handles.
- Soliciting is not permitted. Violations of this rule should be reported to campus security immediately.
- Report all thefts and property loss immediately to campus security.
- Be security conscious at all times.
- Security Considerations of Campus Facilities
- Building access and maintenance
- The LSC campus is for the use of the students, faculty, staff and their escorted guests, and those on official business with LSC. All others are subject to being charged with trespassing.