Part 1: General Information/Policy. The Fresh Start policy at Lake Superior College (LSC) gives a student a one-time opportunity to establish a new GPA.
Part 2: Procedure for Implementation
Subpart A: Conditions. Fresh Start cannot be granted if a student has earned a degree, diploma, or certificate from LSC and applied any of those credits towards that award. LSC awards include those earned from Duluth Technical College and/or Duluth Community College. A student can only be granted Fresh Start once.
- The student must not have been enrolled in credit-based course work at LSC or any other college or university for a minimum of three (3) consecutive years prior to the point of academic forgiveness.
- Upon readmission to LSC, the student must demonstrate ability by completing 12 semester credits at LSC and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and credit completion ratio of at least 67%.
- Students who meet the two conditions cited above should contact an advisor to complete the Fresh Start application. Applications for Fresh Start must be submitted to the Registrar after returning to LSC and earning 12 credits (as stated above) and before earning 24 credits.
Subpart B: Implementation. Once the application for Fresh Start has been approved, the Registrar will make the following adjustments to the student’s transcript:
- The transcript will be separated into two sections indicating the point of Fresh Start. “Fresh Start Granted” will be indicated on the transcript.
- All course titles and grades from these courses will remain on the transcript.
- Courses with grades of C, B, A, P taken before the point of academic forgiveness will continue to calculate into the student’s academic record.
- Courses with grades of D, F, NC, FN taken before the point of academic forgiveness will be taken out of calculation.
- Courses that are repeated are not eligible for financial aid.
- Courses that have been granted academic forgiveness will be counted in calculation of maximum time frame for Financial Aid.
Date Implemented: May 3, 2001
October 12, 2011
November 15, 2016