2.2.1 – Procedure – State Residency Requirements
Part 1: Purpose and Definition. This procedure describes the process for allowing students to petition for a change in state residency status in accordance with the provisions of this system procedure.
Subpart A: Domicile is a person’s true, fixed and permanent living place. Domicile is the place to which a person intends to return after temporary absences. A person may have only one domicile at a time.
Part 2: Demonstration of Domicile and Factors to be Considered. In order to be reclassified as a Minnesota state resident, a student must first demonstrate the establishment of domicile in Minnesota as described in this part.
Subpart A: Required Period of Residence. A student must have resided in Minnesota for a continuous period of one calendar year immediately prior to applying for reclassification and during this period of time must not have been solely or primarily for the purpose of attending a college or university.
Subpart B: Other Factors
Each of the following additional facts and circumstances may be considered in the evaluation of a petition for a change in state residency, and other factors not listed may also be considered. The existence of any one of these factors is either necessary nor sufficient to form the basis for a decision. It is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation or evidence of any factors to be considered in the reclassification decision.
- Continuous presence in Minnesota between academic terms or other periods when not enrolled as a student.
- Registration as a voter in Minnesota.
- Ownership of a home in Minnesota.
- Domicile of a student’s spouse in Minnesota.
- Registration of the student’s automobile in Minnesota.
- For a dependent, domicile in Minnesota of the student’s parent or legal guardian.
- Evidence of the intention to acquire a domicile in Minnesota.
- Sources of the student’s financial support are generated within Minnesota.
- An offer of employment in Minnesota to begin after the student’s projected date of college or university graduation.
Part 3: Decision. A student’s petition for reclassification shall be considered and a decision made by the Director of Admissions within 10 working days of its receipt. A student whose residency is changed to that of a Minnesota resident shall be charged the resident tuition rate effective at the beginning of the term of enrollment following the date the petition was submitted. Classification of a student as a Minnesota resident shall apply to all Minnesota State Colleges & Universities.
Part 4: Appeal. A student may appeal his/her Residency Petition decision to the Vice President of Student Services within 10 working days of receipt of the decision.
Date Implemented: May 11, 1998
Date Updated: February 2009