A service member entering this program must meet the following admission criteria:
- Eligible for admission to LSC. Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent. See our Become a Student page for more details.
- Completion of METC Physical Therapist Assistant Program (Army 303-N9, Navy B-303-0150, Air Force L8ABJ4J032 01AA) with a grade of “C” or better in all courses within the program. Candidates who have completed the AMEDDC&S’s Physical Therapy Specialty (303-91J10 or 303-N9; or NEC 8466) “peacetime” training program with a grade of “C” or better in all courses within the program are also eligible to apply if training was completed on or after January 2006. Candidates must provide a transcript to Lake Superior College records office from one of the following: Joint Services Transcript (formerly known as AARTS or SMART), or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Note: Both Phase 1 and Phase 2 must be included on Joint Services Transcript. Training dates prior to 2006 will be considered by petition but prospective students must provide evidence that their training was equivalent to 2006 training AND that they have maintained skills through ongoing practice as a PT Tech/Specialist.
- Ability to obtain a positive recommendation from a supervising physical therapist who has worked with the PT Tech/Specialist for at least 6 months.. A specific recommendation form is required.
- Ability to obtain a letter of verification from PT clinic director, verifying 6 months recent experience (at least half time) as a PT Specialist/Technician (active) or 6 months recent experience in civilian clinic (discharged). Recent experience is defined as within the past 12 months. The work experience verification can be combined with the recommendation.
- Telephone advising with the LSC PTA Program Director; this is scheduled after the student is formally accepted to the program.
- If honorably discharged from the service, copy of DD form 214 (Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty). Admission applications must be received within 1 year of discharge to ensure the preservation of clinical skill competencies. Applications received after 1 year may be considered if continued employment as a physical therapy technician/specialist can be verified.
*THERE IS CURRENTLY A 1-2 YEAR WAITING LIST FOR THE MILITARY BRIDGE PROGRAM.*
- Apply to Lake Superior College and indicate PTA as your major.
- Request Joint Service transcripts be sent to Lake Superior College
- Request any other college transcripts (official) be sent to Lake Superior College
Once Lake Superior College has received the required documents listed above, you will receive an official acceptance letter indicating you have been admitted to the college.
The PTA Military Bridge Program has additional requirements you must fulfill before you can be formally accepted to the program. See “Applying to the PTA Military Program” below.
Students looking to start the PTA Military Bridge program may submit materials at any time and will be considered for program admission if space is available and all program and college requirements have been met. Students may take general education courses required for the program prior to formal program acceptance, but PTA specific course can only be taken for the AAS degree by students who have been formally accepted into the program.
Official program acceptance occurs only when all program entry requirements have been satisfied and the program has notified the student of their acceptance.
The program application requires the completion of an online application AND the following specific forms (mailed directly to Jane Worley, Program Director, 2101 Trinity Road, Duluth, MN 55811, or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Skills Documentation Form completed by a supervising physical therapist
- Recommendation Form completed by a physical therapist who has supervised you for at least 6 months
In addition, verification of at least 6 months of recent work experience (see “program eligibility requirements” link above) is required – this may come in the form of a letter and/or may be combined with the required recommendation form. Work experience cannot include time completing Phase 2 Military Training. Recent experience must be within the past 12 months.
Applicants should ask their supervising PT to submit these documents. Applicants should contact Jane Worley at email@example.com to verify receipt of all documents.
- Program Planner Physical Therapist Assistant AAS Military Bridge 74 cr (this lists the courses required to graduate from the PTA Military Bridge Program)
- PTA 2780 (PTA Basic Refresher) must be taken during the final semester in the program.
- Students will be assigned a program advisor once formally accepted to the program. Prior to formal program acceptance, students should contact Karla Seymour at firstname.lastname@example.org for advising.
- The program currently has a waiting list for formal program acceptance. Students may take general education courses required for the program prior to formal program acceptance, but PTA-specific courses can only be taken for the AAS degree by students who have been formally accepted into the program.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Online Military Bridge Program at Lake Superior College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: email@example.com; website: http://www.capteonline.org. If needing to contact the program/institutin directly, please call (218) 733-7632 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please complete your application to Lake Superior College and be sure all college and military transcripts are received by LSC. Transcripts will be evaluated for possible credit/transfer.
To use tuition assistance¸ visit Go Army Ed (or comparable service for your branch of the military) and input all of the pertinent information about LSC i.e. tuition costs, degree plan, classes that need to be completed etc. Be sure to submit this information well before the class starts to ensure that funding is approved before the start of the semester. Submit a copy of your Tuition Assistance Approval Form to either the Student Payment Office or the LSC VA Certifying Official. Remember, tuition assistance will only cover tuition costs. You will be responsible for all other costs.
Here are the required steps for VA funded students at LSC:
- You will need to complete the application process at Lake Superior College and be accepted into a degree program. Submit a copy of your DD-214 or Joint Services Transcripts (JST) with your application to waive the $20 application fee.
- To use your GI Bill benefits, you must first apply for them by using the VONAPP . Submit a copy of your NOBE if you have one and any kicker paperwork if applicable to the LSC VA Certifying Official. If you do not already have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or NOBE, you will need to complete and submit a Veterans Information Sheet.
- You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Provide a copy of that letter to the LSC Certifying Official.
- Register only for courses that fit into your declared program. Check your LSC e-mail regularly for information that may affect your eligibility for VA benefits.
- After registering, complete a Request to Certify form online. This will let the LSC VA Certifying Official that you wish to use your benefits for the semester. This form is completed every semester.
- The BAH and Book allowance is sent directly to you via direct deposit or mail. The tuition and fees are sent directly to LSC based on your % of VA funding. If you are registered for late start courses, payment from the VA will not be received for the course(s) until closer to the start date.
For questions about federal financial aid, please contact the LSC Financial Aid office at (218) 733-7601 and select option 2 for Financial Aid. Inquires can also be submitted by email to studentFA@lsc.edu or by fax at (218) 733-5945 ATTN: Financial Aid
For questions about TA or VONAPP, please contact David Martin at email@example.com or 218-733-7604.