Financial Support 1-2 through 1-4
The institution must have a strategic plan which identifies stable financial resources sufficient to support the program’s stated mission, goals and objectives. A financial statement document must be submitted providing revenue and expense data for the dental hygiene program.
The institution should have the financial resources required to develop and sustain the program on a continuing basis. The program should have the ability to employ an adequate number of full‑time faculty, purchase and maintain equipment, procure supplies, reference material and teaching aids as reflected in annual budget appropriations. Financial allocations should ensure that the program will be in a competitive position to recruit and retain qualified faculty. Annual appropriations should provide for innovations and changes necessary to reflect current concepts of education in the discipline. The Commission will assess the adequacy of financial support on the basis of current appropriations and the stability of sources of funding for the program.
The sponsoring institutions must ensure that support from entities outside of the institution does not compromise the teaching, clinical and research components of the program.
The program does not depend on support from entities outside of the institution. Occasionally, the program applies for and receives grants but the program is not dependent on any of these to sustain its operation.
Examples of evidence to demonstrate compliance may include:
- Written agreement(s)
- Contracts between the institution/program and sponsor(s) (For example: contract(s)/agreement(s) related to facilities, funding, faculty allocations, etc.)
The authority and final responsibility for curriculum development and approval, student selection, faculty selection and administrative matters must rest within the sponsoring institution.
1. Describe/explain the process utilized to develop the program’s budget. Include the time/frame, individuals involved, and final decision making body/individual (s).
The dental hygiene program adheres to all of the policies and procedures of the institution. The current process includes the following steps:
- At the beginning of each academic year, the program administrator and faculty review all program documents and conduct a program self-evaluation. This evaluation process is structured by the college to assist faculty and staff as they consider their current status, their desired future status, and the budgetary requirements they believe will maintain and develop the program. Every year the dental hygiene department, and all departments on campus, are challenged to become more cost effective within the institution
- In the fall of each academic year, the program administrator develops an annual budget (Exhibit EE) and a 3-5 year equipment request (Exhibit FF) for the college. Budget goals are developed and the funding necessary to attain these goals is estimated.
- The budget for the ensuing year is developed to support appropriate program goals and projected expenses to sustain program operation.
- The program administrator submits the appropriate budget documents and requests to the Division Dean.
- The Deans review, summarize, and synthesize strategic plans and budget requests and submits division strategic plans and budget requests to the administration.
- The administrators review all the requests and the college funding available for the academic year and the college budget is finalized.
2. Describe the long-range plan developed to assist the program in acquiring stable and adequate funding. Append a copy of the long-range plan, if available.
The college recently implemented the Lake Superior College Program/Department Review Self-Study (Exhibit X) which is a process where each department conducts a comprehensive review once every 3-4 years. The document assesses several aspects of the department including the development of a long-range plan.
The college equipment request form was developed to help each department look at their long-range requests and to help the college secure adequate funding and a balanced budget. This form must be updated and submitted annually as part of the budget request.
3. Assess the allocations for faculty salaries and professional development to ensure the program is in a competitive position to recruit and retain qualified faculty.
- Faculty salaries for the entire institution are collectively bargained at the state level for the entire Minnesota State College and University system (MnSCU). The benefits and progression through the contract are consistent across the state.
- Professional development is a line item in the annual program budget request.
- Faculty has additional funding available through the Professional Development Committee. Types of funding available through this committee are internships, sabbaticals, and professional development such as conferences and workshops.
4. If the program faculty salary schedule differs from that of the institution, explain the rationale for the difference.
The dental hygiene faculty salary schedule is the same for all MnSCU employees in the Minnesota State College Faculty (MSCF) bargaining unit. Salaries are based on years of experience and level of education attained.
5. Identify the funds appropriated from each source listed on example Exhibit B for the dental hygiene program and the percentages of the total budget that each source constitutes.
Please refer to Exhibit B
6. If financial resources include grant monies, specify the type, amount and termination date of the grant. What is the primary use of these funds? Upon termination of the grant(s), how will these funds be replaced? If applicable, describe how the tuition or other sources of funds are distributed between affiliated institutions.
Financial resources for the dental hygiene program do not include grants.
7. Using the example exhibit C format, provide information on the program’s budget for the previous, current and ensuing fiscal years.
Please refer to Exhibit C
8. Using the example exhibit D format, provide the actual expenditures for the previous year.
Please refer to Exhibit D
9. Using the format shown in example exhibit E, provide information on the salary schedules for full and part-time faculty for the current academic year, including the program administrator.
Please refer to Exhibit E
10. If applicable, list the financial resources available for distance sites. Provide information on the budget, actual income and expenditures for the distance site(s).
The program does not utilize distance sites.
B: Supportive Documentation
Exhibit B: Table of financial resources for current year
Exhibit C: Budget information for previous, current and ensuing fiscal years
Exhibit D: Expenditure information for previous fiscal year
Exhibit E: Faculty salary schedules
Exhibit X: Lake Superior College Program/Department Review Self-Study
Exhibit DD: List of individuals involved in the budgetary process