5.21 – Possession or Carry of Firearms
Executive Summary: Students and employees acting in the course and scope of their employment are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm on all Lake Superior College campuses. Visitors are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm on the Trinity Road campus due to the existence of a school (the Creation Station) on the site. This policy does not
prohibit the lawful possession or carry of firearms in campus parking areas.
Part 1: Purpose and Scope. The purpose of this policy is to establish restrictions on possession or carry of firearms applicable to Lake Superior College, in accordance with the Minnesota Citizens’ Personal Protection Act of 2003, Minnesota Statutes section 624.714, and other applicable law.
Part 2: Definitions
Subpart A: Employee. “Employee” means any individual employed by Lake Superior College, including student employees.
Subpart B: Firearms. “Firearm” means a gun, whether loaded or unloaded, that discharges shot or a projectile by means of an explosive, a gas or compressed air.
Subpart C: Pistol. “Pistol” means a weapon as defined in Minnesota Statutes section 624.712, subd. 2.
Subpart D: Student. “Student” means an individual who is:
- registered to take or is taking one or more courses, classes, or seminars, credit or noncredit, at the College.
- between terms of a continuing course of study at the College, such as summer break between spring and fall academic terms; or
- expelled or suspended from enrollment as a student at the College, during the pendency of any adjudication of the student disciplinary action.
Subpart E: College Property. “College Property” means the facilities and land owned, leased, or under the primary control of Lake Superior College.
Subpart F: Visitor. “Visitor” means any person who is on College property, but does not include (1) an employee of the Lake Superior College acting in the course and scope of their employment; or (2) a student, when the student is on College property.
Subpart G: School. “School” means a Pre-K to 12th grade educational institution on college premises. Lake Superior College’s pre-school, the Creation Station, is considered a school by definition.
Part 3: General. No person is permitted to carry or possess a firearm on College property except as provided in this policy.
Subpart A: Employees
- Prohibition – Employees are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm while acting in the course and scope of their employment, either on or off College property, regardless of whether the employee has a permit to carry a firearm, except as otherwise provided in this policy.
- Licensed peace officers – Subpart 3.A.1. does not apply to employees who are licensed peace officers under Minnesota Statutes section 626.84, subd.1(c), when assigned by the College to public safety duties.
- Employee reporting responsibility – An employee with a reasonable basis for believing an individual is in possession of or carrying a firearm in violation of this policy has a responsibility to report the suspected act in a timely manner, unless doing so would subject the employee or others to physical harm. Reports should be made to the Campus Security office. This policy shall not prohibit prompt notification to appropriate law enforcement authorities when an immediate threat to personal safety exists. Employees shall not make reports of a suspected violation knowing they are false or in reckless disregard of the truth.
Subpart B: Students
- Prohibition – Students are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm while on College property, regardless of whether the student has a permit to carry a firearm, except as otherwise provided in this policy.
- Licensed peace officers – This policy does not apply to students who are licensed peace officers under Minnesota Statutes section 626.84. subd. 1(c).
Subpart C: Visitors
- Prohibition – Visitors are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm while on College property, except as otherwise provided in this policy.
- Licensed peace officers – This policy does not apply to visitors who are licensed peace officers under Minnesota Statutes section 626.84, subd.1(c)
Part 4: Exceptions
Subpart A: Parking areas. This policy does not prohibit the lawful possession or carry of firearms in campus parking areas.
Subpart B: Authorized uses. This policy does not prohibit: Lawful possession or carry related to an academic use approved in writing by the College President.
Part 5: Storage in State Vehicles Prohibited. No vehicle owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the College shall be used to store or carry a firearm, except as authorized for purposes under part 4.B.1.
Part 6: Violations. Violations of this policy by students or employees are misconduct subject to discipline, up to and including expulsion or termination.
Part 7: Referral to Law Enforcement. Lake Superior College may refer suspected violations of law to appropriate law enforcement authorities, and provide access to investigative or other data as permitted by law.
Part 8: Effect. In the event any other College MnSCU Office of the Chancellor policy or procedure is found to be in conflict with this policy, the terms of this policy shall govern.
Date of Implemented: October 13, 2003